With temperatures plummeting and snow storms moving through, winter is officially upon us! But, don’t let the cold weather keep you away. No! This is a time of year that really shows off the area in all its glory. It’s a time for building snowmen and warm, comforting fires to gather around and share stories, and sip hot cocoa, and so much more. Of course, if you’re not used to the icy vortex that Milwaukee, then you do need just a little preparation to comfortably make it through these conditions so that you can enjoy every experience you encounter.
When you visit Bay View and the greater Milwaukee area in the winter, there are certain must-have items you should pack to survive the cold. So, to ensure that you stay warm and cozy out there, we’ve put together a list of a few items you should invest in to make your trip more comfortable:
- Down Coat – Sweaters and thermals are warm for sure, but you still need an extra warm top layer. So, we recommend investing in a down jacket with pockets to keep your hands cozy and warm. Down coats are high-quality and usually water and wind resistant, which will help to guard you against the harsh weather coming off the lake.
- Hat, Gloves & Scarves – You’ll absolutely want to make sure that you keep your hands and ears covered and warm. So, invest in a quality wool hat or ear-warming headband, as well as some thick winter gloves. And, definitely don’t forget a nice, thick wool scarf!
- Thermal Leggings – Sure, leggings are in style these days but not as the fashionable pant-alternative that you may be thinking. No, we’re talking about the kind of thick, thermal (or fleece) leggings that will cut the cold breeze. You want the kind that are fuzzy on the inside that will keep your legs warm and cozy both indoors and outdoors as you trek around town.
- Winter Boots – Again, we’re not talking about the cute fashionable booties we all love to prance around in while wearing our most stylish winter outfits. We’re talking about real, durable, high-quality winter boots. Remember, you’re going to be wearing these for both warmth and to endure the harsh conditions out there, including salted streets, ice, snow, and water.
- Vest – For those days when the weather is cold but not quite cold enough to wear your parka, you may want a cozy vest. Vests are a staple choice among Milwaukeeans during unpredictable weather. They’re designed to keep your chest (and hands – don’t forget to get ones with pockets) warm. And, if you want to stay extra toasty, invest in a vest with a warm hood.
- Activated Hand Warmers – While you’re shopping for apparel, grab some of the little packets that you activate to use as hand and feet warmers. When activated, these tiny heaters last up to 8 hours, and will keep you toasty warm all day so you can keep snapping pictures of your favorite winter wonderland activities!
Winter is truly a most wonderful time of the year, here in Bay View, that you won’t want to miss. Sure, it may take a few extra minutes to dress and prepare for the icy cold air out there, but trust us – it’s worth it!