No matter how cold it may be outside, visiting Milwaukee and its beautiful surrounding areas in winter is truly magical. There’s sparkling snowfall, the air smells of hot cocoa, and there are so many exciting, traditional Milwaukee winter activities to experience.
You may think you’ve done it all, but we’re here to tell you that you haven’t! So, if you’re planning your stay with us here at the Guesthouse and are looking to travel around the greater Milwaukee area to take it all in, here are some of the can’t-miss winter activities you simply must seek out during your adventure!
- Polar Bear Plunge – If you’re going to be in town this New Year’s Day, you’re not going to want to miss the entertaining sight of the annual Polar Bear Plunge! Even if you’re not participating, come down and watch as others face the icy cold waters head on in this famous Milwaukee tradition.
- Ice Skating – It’s not truly winter without skating a few laps around an ice rink. And, whether you’re looking to stay indoors or experience some family fun in the fresh air, there are several ice rinks in the area. You can go indoors at the Petit National Ice Center, or sweat it out in the cold air at places like Slice of Ice, Waterstone Bank, Humboldt Park, Washington Park, and more.
- Hockey – If you’d rather stay off the ice and watch the professionals do their thing, you can always catch a hockey game. The Milwaukee Admirals play at the US Cellular Arena, and when they’re on the road, the Milwaukee Wave play there too.
- Skiing, Snowboarding & Tubing – Did you know that Milwaukee is home to some of the best slopes in the country? That’s right! So, get your ski gear, and race around in the snow for a weekend. Or, if you’d rather slide around on sleds and inner tubes, check out the largest tubing park in the world at Sunburst. Sunburst is great fun whether you’re a seasoned pro or a beginner.
- Dog Sledding – Yes, you read that right – dog sledding! Most don’t know that you can do this in the lower 48, but you can take a brisk and exciting ride right here in Milwaukee at the Whitnall park when there’s snow on the ground.
- Snowshoeing – Take a wild adventure on the nature trails at the Schlitz Audubon Nature Center. Snowshoeing and cross-country skiing is welcome. And, while you’re there, check out their winter exhibits and activities.
- Winter Festivals – Milwaukee is home to some of the greatest events and festivals year ‘round, but if you’re here in winter, you’re in for a real treat! There are snow sculpting contests all winter long, a Mitten Fest, the Waukesha Janboree, and so much more.
- Holiday Drinks – Whether you’re seeking something sweet and festive or a more traditional winter ale, Milwaukee has it all! Sip a sweet winter-themed creation at one of our many local coffee shops. Or, if you’re looking for something with a little more bite to ward off the cold, have a glass of wine or beer at a local pub, right here at the Kinn Guesthouse, or at one of the many brew events around town, like the NYE Bar Crawl to kick things off into the new year.
There are so many exciting things to do around Milwaukee when the temperature drops. Plus, you can find all sorts of free winter activities. You can go sledding on any hill covered in fresh powder, head to the lakefront for a brisk walk, and watch the beautiful waves crash into the ice and the beach, and so much more. It really is a stunning time of year that we hope you’ll come to share with us here at the Kinn Guesthouse!