As every seasoned traveler will tell you, a good book is perhaps the best travel companion a person can ask for. So, as we start looking ahead to the close of summer and on to a new school year for many, we’re going to take you through some of our area’s best independent bookstores. Whether you’re a lover of literature who is simply looking for a good book to read as you pass through our beautiful city, or a student looking for a little distraction, the Milwaukee area has some true gems every bookworm can respect. Here are a few of our favorite Milwaukee bookstores:
- Downtown Books Bought and Sold – This cozy bookseller is every bookworm’s dream! Not only is their book selection stellar, it’s a comfortable space with friendly staff and customers. The vibe is very relaxed and feels more like you’re walking into a casual hangout with long-time friends every time you walk through the door.
- Boswell Book Company – This hip space is huge and filled with row after row of bookcases filled with books spanning every imaginable genre and subject matter. They also have a lot of great speakers come through on book tours. So, you can stop in, and shop around for something to add to your collection, then catch a Q&A with one of your favorite authors.
- Woodland Pattern Book Center – If more contemporary reads are your cup of tea, then be sure to check out the Woodland Pattern Book Center. It’s a great place to discover new authors and their captivating stories. Who knows, you may just find the next big cultural phenomenon! Plus, they offer film and video installations as well as performances making it a well-rounded haven for the arts.
- Outwords Books, Gifts and Coffee – This fun, quirky bookstore offers everything from obscure comic books to the latest best sellers and everything in between. It’s a great place to grab a cup of joe, a book, and relax among a friendly group of people. The store also hosts a great lecture series that has brought in such fan favorites as David Sedaris and Kate Clinton.
- Renaissance Book Shop – Renaissance is one of the oldest remaining bookstores in Milwaukee. While it’s moved from several locations around the city, it’s now a beautifully curated used bookstore at the airport. So, whether you’re coming into town or going, this is one place we recommend stopping in to grab a great read while you’re on the go.
Sometimes, there’s just nothing better than cozying up with a good book, whether on a bench outside in the warm air sipping lemonade under the sun or next to a fireplace in the colder months with a nice cup of hot chocolate. So, explore all of the cool spaces and bookstores Milwaukee has to offer, and get lost in story! And, if you’re staying with us at the Kinn Guesthouse, explore our chic, cozy accommodations with your book in hand. We have carefully designed your stay to be an ideal home away from home where you can relax and enjoy the quiet moments to better recharge during your travels.