Whether you’re coming into town in search of entertainment, cultural enrichment, historical education, or just some good old fashioned fun, downtown Milwaukee has something for everyone. So, to help you get the most out of your visit and better plan your trip, we’re looking at some attractions that every tourist should check out in downtown Milwaukee. Here are our top five recommendations:
- Lakefront Brewery – Milwaukee is known for its fantastic breweries and beer scene that has more than earned its place in American history. Considered by many tourists and locals alike to be one of Milwaukee’s best brewery tours, Lakefront Brewery is one stop you won’t want to miss. Enjoy guided tours, samplings, and maybe even grab a bite to go with your beer at the on-site beer hall where you can indulge in some regional delicacies like cheese curds, Bavarian-style pretzels, and Usinger brats. The brewery also adds seasonal brews and treats to their tours depending on the time of year, so be sure to check their calendar for special events to better plan your visit.
- Harley-Davidson Museum – Whether you’re a collector, a casual admirer, or a complete outsider, the Harley-Davidson Museum has something to entertain absolutely everyone and is fun for the whole family. More than just a nostalgia trip for motorcycle enthusiasts, the museum really captures American history and its culture in ways that a typical museum experience just doesn’t. Located on 20 acres, along with museum exhibits, guests can enjoy guided tours, park-like outdoor spaces, the Motor Bar & Restaurant, Cafe Racer, and more.
- Milwaukee County Zoo – One of the country’s best zoological attractions, the Milwaukee County Zoo sits on more than 200 acres and houses more than 2,000 animals. From penguins, to camels, hyenas, sharks, reptiles, and so much more, guests are instantly transported to different parts of the world and taken on a ride of entertainment, inspiration, and education. And, if that’s not enough for you, there are also a number of rides and fun attractions to experience, like the safari train and carousel, as well as places to grab a bite to eat.
- Pabst Mansion – Experience true opulence when you tour the historic and stunning Pabst Mansion. Built in 1892, the mansion is the former home of Captain Frederick Pabst of the iconic beer empire. The home, built in the Flemish Renaissance style on Milwaukee’s historic Grand Avenue, features 37 rooms, 12 baths and 14 fireplaces.
- Milwaukee Art Museum – Located in downtown on Lake Michigan, the Milwaukee Art Museum is an absolute must-see and not just for what the buildings contain. The buildings themselves are stunning architectural wonders boasting a futuristic façade with a gleaming white suspension bridge, 90-foot vaulted glass ceiling and soaring wings. Then, on the inside, the 341,000-square foot museum is home to 30,000 works of art. From antiquity to present day, the museum represents the works of Claude Monet, Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol, Auguste Rodin, Edgar Degas, and more.
While these are just some of downtown Milwaukee’s can’t-miss attractions, there is so much to do, see, and explore in our beloved city. Come see for yourself why visitors from all over the world keep falling in love with Milwaukee and keep coming back for more!